"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life." -BUDDHA

Monday, December 03, 2012

KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato



KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
A few nights ago, I was advised by a friend to try her highly-suggested new concept restaurant in Timog area. Popularly known as KOMRAD, it is a Hunan and Szechuan cuisine that foodies particularly those who loves Chinese cooking to drop by and study the offerings. As someone who possesses a deep liking for the said cuisine, I was full of high spirits in traveling all the way from Cubao to this side of Quezon City. Weeks had already passed since I last landed in Il Terrazzo Mall where the newest dining place is located. A prime spot I must say. To my surprise, Komrad is currently occupying the space of The Real Thing Diner which became a lunch date place of my close friends early this year.Something I'll blog anytime soon.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
When I first stepped inside this restaurant, I knew that I will be fed properly and delightfully. I appreciate the red, white and black theme coupled with a lot of frames dainty hanging against the wall. It is as if the person  portrayed on those frames are closely scrutinizing the diners. I felt I was on a different dimension, perhaps during the time of Mao Zedong. Moreover, the menu reveals a lot about Cantonese and Szechuan cuisine. Here's what me and my friends gobbled up at dinner :)

KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Komrad’s Signature Iced Tea  Single- PhP73 Bottomless- PhP186
If I can perfectly recall it, I had two glasses of this subtle drink. Easy to appreciate without so much guilt. I simply like how they came up with this mixture. 
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato Komrad Garlic Siomai  PhP125 
A must-try dimsum. I never knew that an awesome dimsum like this exist. Thanks for my friend for insanely dragging me here. A million thanks really! We are talking here about meaty siomai with undeniable delicious ggodness of garlicky taste and everything in between. Forget not the soy sauce and Philippine Lemon, alright? The presentation was so alarming!
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas MoratoSteamed Hunan Cumin Siomai PhP125 
This is yet another not-your-average-type-of-siomai. If you want it hot, then you gotta give this one a try. Expect cumin taste to slowly creep in your palate. Something worth remembering and experiencing! For the price it is so good already.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Yang Chow Fried Rice  PhP145
What is Chinese cuisine without this very in demand rice dish? Again, for the price this is worth ordering. Perfect for 6 persons. Filling and absolutely one of the best Yang Chow in town. 
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Kung Pao Shrimp Balls PhP325
A classic dish in Szechuan cuisine that is spicy stir-fried and made with shrimp balls, peanuts, vegetables,sesame seeds and chili peppers. I am used to eating chicken for a kung pao dish since it is a primary ingredient though this one is good enough for a change.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato Mapo Tofu  PhP255 
This is one of my favorites in traditional or modern Chinese cuisine. Why? It is so soft that each spoonful easily glides in my esophagus. I just like the sensation it brings and the fact that you need not exert so much effort in chewing and swallowing. Ground pork, green onions and its lightly seasoned taste make this dish super incredible for me! Ask my friends how much I super like this dish no matter what restaurant I may be.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Steamed Fish Fillet with Blackbean Tapenade PhP288
If you are searching for a soupy dish that has excellent taste because of various spices, then let this dish inspire you. Consisting of puréed or finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil plus the equally good slices of steamed fish fillet. This creates a yummy yummy sensation!
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Taiwanese Pork Chop  PhP225
I do not want to be so negative about not really liking this dish because I want to consider also the way it was prepared and presented to guests. What made this unbecoming for me is the fact that it smells and tastes like kikiam, which surely nauseates me. I believe that for most people they will negate me particularly who loves pork dishes and Taiwanese dishes and I do respect that. But for the sake of being fair, I really tried a slice but unfortunately, I can't handle the aroma and sharp taste.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Milk Tea  PhP186
As a fond drinker of milk tea or bubble tea, there I was silently sipping my tall glass of drink. Cold, sweet, smooth and so nice to perfectly end my meal while chatting with friends. No sinkers but still a winner! Dilution and sweetness level excites me that I drank this in less that 5 minutes I guess. I needed another one but hesitated for I may not sleep well due to its caffeine content.
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
Red Beans Buchi PhP45
KOMRAD Mao's Hunan and Sichuan Kitchen in Il Terrazzo Mall, Tomas Morato
If there's a dessert that is always present in Chinese/Szechuan menu, many believed that it is Buchi. A rice cake molded into shape with sweet bean paste filling and covered with sesame seeds. A serving of medium-sized ball consisted of three pieces which are deliciously hot and sweet and filling! Yuummmmm...A nice treat to end our dinner.

If you guys are searching for an elaborate dining place with tastefully created list of menu items, you might want to consider this place and enjoy your Hunan and Sichuan meal at its best!


KOMRAD
2nd Level, IL Terrazzo Mall
305 Tomas Morato Ave. cor. Scout Madriñan St., Brgy. South Triangle
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
 
Facebook Page

0 comments: