"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life." -BUDDHA

Monday, April 30, 2012

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City



CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City

A few days back I discovered a new burger joint situated inside the Sikatuna Village  in  Quezon City. It is just one among the many other casual dining restaurants in the stretch of Maginhawa Street.  CHAMPS BURGER is situated near the  Teacher's Village wherein  me and my close friends recently tried one restaurant early this year. Actually, last week was my initial ordeal at the street packed with  small, very modest and often out-of-the-way place. Yup! you read it right.  Out-of-the-way because you really have to do few foot works and/or google map help for first a first-timer like me. I do not live in kyusi (Quezon City) but I daresay I could muster to find a specific place with some helpful tools at hand armed with charm to have the guts to ask some strangers a nice direction.  Besides I reside at the smallest town of Manila yet right at the heart of it making each and every place around me quite accessible.

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
The counter area

I had the chance to meet the owner of this place along with Eugene, a foodie like me and two beautiful and good-hearted sisters from BigDeals, a budding yet successful group buying site in the Philippines. Mr. Tierry Garcia hosted the intimate dining experience with us that afternoon. He toured us around his humble casual burger joint, explained the menu and how come it will generally satisfy our cravings, he even let us see the back of the house which is in my opinion, a very well-maintained and clean space so is the 'time out' room.

You may choose to seat at this small black sofa with your group of  friends
 inside the burger restaurant OR...
...you may want to seat at these high chairs facing a clear glass panel watching
passersby who look back at you as you savor every bite of your Champs
burger ^_^  Al fresco seating is available too which I estimated to cater
at least 15 to 20 guests. Not bad for a hang-out place after office hours or 
school schedule.

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
At the counter area these softdrinks in can will greet you along with flyers with nice badminton racket holder. Not to
mention, UP Statistical Society Card is being honored here. Perhaps, more cards from the neighboring colleges and universities will be honored soon as the bulk of the buying crowd came from them.
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
At your service. "Welcome to CHAMPS BURGER". Serving ONLY the best for the best!
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
So here goes the crew busily making food for us to taste test. They are working on with a griddle where patties are being cooked to perfection. CHAMPS patty as a matter of fact is ALL NATURAL thus, no extenders nor artificial seasonings. They grind their own beef using the best quality ingredients making it really special, safe to eat and sumptuous too. You have to believe me...how about sharing the following food photos with you and letting them speak for themselves??!

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Boracay Regatta (P150)
Champs Burger's very own in house beer battered creamy dory fried perfectly to  a golden brown, served on a bed of lettuce with tomato, onion, cucumber served with tartar sauce on a sesame bun.

This was my choice for a healthier option or to at least lead me into daydreaming that I am in Boracay island enjoying the pristine white sand while basking under the sun while eating this burger. Seriously, the fish fillet was extremely big in portion size which obviously bigger than the toasted bun itself. All veggies were fresh, I haven't even noticed  a slight wilting nor discoloration which to me is pretty excellent. Faint hint of beer coming from the battered and  fried creamy dory was present. Good thing it was that way as I do not drink beer at all. I have no issues as to what type of batter used for my fish fillet but I would like to commend its outrageous size and crispy crust (a beer batter's effect on cooking) with moist meat. And hey the creamy tartar added flavor to the innate bland taste of dory so better not to forget to pat a little in every bite.

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Touchdown (P250)
Best to order when you are thinking of beating your  severe or raging hunger  in seconds. Men would usually order this so it was Eugene who tried it, the only thorn among the roses present at our al fresco table. I know that a canned soda will fit this than the tasteless water. I grabbed a bite as well as I am curios as to how freshly made it really is. Beef patty was well-seasoned and yes freshly-ground sandwiched with dropping cheese as if hugging the beef patty. You can see it really melting which makes it all the more delicious. What is making it producing more hunger pangs in me is the idea of having it placed in a bed of fresh lettuce, tomato, onion, plus mustard and mayo. Let this photo speaks for itself okay?

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Ace Burger (P160)
The famous burger because of its 160g all natural GOOD BEEF PATTY. I took this shot this for you guys to know how fresh it was done. See those green leafy lettuce, onion slices and tomato slices? To me it is extraordinary simply because I have been eating burgers for ages and this is by far the freshest burger delivered right at my table. It is so far meaning more notches higher in terms of qualitywhen compared to fast food burgers which we normally order. Simple and fresh - this is how I want to describe the Ace Burger. Credible enough to earn an A grade! Excellent!

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Skinny Fries (P85)
I am fond of eating freshly cooked fries and I undeniably got one at Champs. Thanks to their cook-to-order method as I am at peace that products served to me is/are not lapse at all. These skinny fries were served on a paper-lines black plastic platter just like how they serve their burgers. I am unsure about the grammage but it was hefty enough to feed two to three persons. Definitely for sharing. What I find awesome about this are the black specks that covered the crispy hot strips with some potato skin on. Those were ground pepper. Not cheap at all as it is one unique kind of fries dish to match any Champs Burger of your choice. Yum yum yum! And oh they are not that skinny fries at all to me as I find skinnier(thinner) fries out there. Hence, if this is Champs definition of skinny then so be it. No contention at all. I am one glad guest if that is the case. And I am sure you guys too! ^_^
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Home-made Onion Rings (P95)
Woah! This is my favorite among the sides presented ^_^  I can still recall how fond I am with the Popeye's onion rings ( I dunno if you can still recall this defunct eating place). Champs and Popeye's may not have the same quality for onion rings but this is making me craaaaaave for more. Champs has it in such a way that it is crispy and retain the size and shape of the real onion rings. Also what is laudable about this is that every bite a delight because it is not oily and the peppery taste adds glamour with or without its ranch dressing dip. This side dish is perfect for sharing as well.
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Chicken Wings with Teriyaki Sauce
Anything with teriyaki sauce will please me. So this one became my instant favorite. This is the juicy and so tasty chicken  I need suitable with a steamed rice. How I love lunch time. More teriyaki sauce means more fun to me as it is giving the chicken wigs deep flavors that I am sure anyone can enjoy right away.
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Winners Circle and Knock Out
6pcs (P275) 12 pcs (P400)
They are two different entities for a chicken dish which were served to us in a combined way. 
The Winner's Circle is made with boneless chicken wings cooked to perfect golden brown. Served with 100g skinny fries. On the other hand, Knock Out is the hot and spicy version of Winner's Circle served too with 100g fries. 

Be sure to ready yourself with a glass of cold water should you plan of tasting the Knock Out as it might really knock you out (true for a not-spicy-food fan like me). Boneless as they are, they are still juicy but not that crispy. Some guys preferred it with bones intact but girls would generally like it that way - boneless. Facilitates easy eating without dirtying your hands :) These chicken wings is far from perfect at least in my own opinion; but it they are tasty maybe a little improvement on the way it was cooked to achieve a crispier chicken skin (except for the Knock Out which is understandably alright ).

CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
CHAMPS BURGER in Maginhawa Street, Quezon City
Fried Snickers
Not yet on the menu as the owner is still in the process of improving and perfecting the recipe. I am so honored to be one of those handful few to taste this gastronomically sweet and satisfying after meal. True enough, Save the best for last! If you are a candy chocolate addict just like us you will certainly love thisI initially had a small bite of the deep-fried snicker battered to perfection which Mr. Tierry prepared it himself and proudly served to us. My verdict was..ohhhhhh I already forgot! Hahaha Kidding aside,   it tastes so delishly sweet partnered with a vanilla scoop which is just so perfect that sunny and sweltering day. The fried snicker was so chewy but the group collectively wanted it a little oozy on the first bite. Something which has a soft core so that it perfectly blends with the ice cream. This best dessert along with the burgers and sides earned Mr. Tierry an accolade from us.

Hungry? Starving? Drooling? Whatever it is you may be feeling right now, do not restrict yourselves from tasting these mouthful burgers, fries, chicken wings and dessert. I must agree CHAMPS BURGER is serving only the best for the best. As a matter of fact, they are not selling big bulky burgers, just nice tasty burgers enough to satisfy your big love for burger that will never shortchange you. Awesome! So see you here foodies! I surmise I will be getting back in here for the rice meals. Promise! Your hard-earned money will only be put to good use only at Champs. If you are looking for burgers with value, this is the place! You will never ever regret of having your next eat out dates in here (writing/speaking with no sugar coating). Try this unpretentious burger place to believe. 

For delivery, you may reach them at 435-4088 or 387-7085. FYI CHAMPS BURGER is open for bulk orders to cater for your events.
For further inquiries you may contact them at champsrestaurant@yahoo.com.



CHAMPS BURGER
#154 Maginhawa Street Sikatuna Village Quezon city
Operating hours: 10:00 am – 12:00 midnight


0 comments: