"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life." -BUDDHA

Monday, March 12, 2012

Congee night in Kopi Tiam


Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Facade at 6:30 PM, a Sunday!
Alighting the jeepney I instantly saw this restaurant that I was looking for. So this is it. This place is Horseshoe was kind of like a secluded place as it is quite dark and too quiet to be a street which is bustling with private and public vehicles. At first sight and first impression this restaurant is a very private yet elusive

A kopitiam or kopi tiam is a traditional breakfast and coffee shop found in Southeast Asia according to Wikipedia. We have two Kopi Tiam Restaurant here in the Philippines based on my research . I sure hope you have the luxury  to visit them as they are not that based on far flung areas. I actually got in at one of their branches closest to my home. 
Congee night in Kopi Tiam

Fronting the facade I found this motorbike and then I instantly understood that they are having deliveries. I just don't know if it is free within San Juan and Cubao area or not. At least one can have either Chinese, Singaporean, or Malaysian dishes any time of the day through Kopi Tiam's flavorful authentic dishes right at your doorstep. You just have to dial those given numbers printed on the delivery box of the motorcycle. It was made known that they do have two branches as of press time- Benitez (wherein we dine in) and the one in Green Valley Pasig. 


Congee night in Kopi Tiam
My gastronomic partner and I just had one of the most filling congee moments one Sunday night. I happen to know about this place through the free vouchers I have availed online. I was one of those lucky few who have received this super affordable treat. 
50% was slashed from its original price. Not to mention it comes with a large glass of lemon iced tea. Something sweet date to mark on the calendar right?!

I was out in the office by 6PM that Sunday night. Afterwhich I immediately ride a jeepney going to Horsehoe in Cubao. I never imagined that the place was super accessible to me from where I work in San Juan. It was less that 10 minutes! Way too fast for a commute.  Early on I called the place and ask for the instructions and it was kinda vague but I mustered the chance to ask the barkers on a jeepney terminal near us. Though they never heard of the restaurant name that I was telling them at least the place where I wanted to be at a right time and the instructions given to me by the helpful barker coincided to be exact. Lucky me that I was surrounded by good people.

In no time my gastronomic partner and I got two of its best-selling congee. Yum!!! I am missing this even if summer is here. Still the best comfort food at any given time of the day. 
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Dining area at the mezzanine level. A quiet cozy place.
I would love to eat on this area but the moment I arrived it was still full packed. I waited for my partner in less than 30 minutes before making our orders. It has a huge and different dining space- from the ground floor, to outside seating and also at the mezzanine level. The place is comfy and elegantly set-up perfect for gatherings and family meal bonding.
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
The nook inside the restaurant  where bakery corner resides. They have plenty of cakes,pastries and breads that are worth trying (see my next review on this) Cold display of cakes can be easily seen from where we have chosen to sit on. They have big slices of cakes good for sharing and meant to be happy endings for your meals. What caught my attention is the detail of their packaging material. I simply like how it looks as there is elegance in giving this as a present to your dear loved ones. Special occasion cakes are available too!
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Oh so Kopi Tiam is under the umbrella of North Park Group of Companies. That night we were informed :)

Now can we just get to the bottom of our Sunday special dining experience?? Here's what made our stomach paunch to the highest level: 
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Lemon Iced Tea
These two glasses of frothy Lemon Iced Tea were served first. It was so cold and so refreshing. Thick lemon fruit slice was floating on the sweet tangy drink. Their house blend for sure. It is a unique blend. Indeed a refreshing way to start our dinner!

Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
PORK BOLA WITH MAHU
In a few minutes our congees were served. This congee is my choice among the various congee they have on their menu. It is served on an iron-made pot to preserve its temperature. On the side is a piece of whole egg placed on a ramekin. It is still whole and the egg yolk is still intact. It is meant to blend with the congee to create not just flavor but most importantly thickness.  Pork bola pieces are huge enough and the mahu better known as pork floss that I loved most creates a truly Asian mix of flavor. Ending was a full stomach. Seasonings can be requested. For me I added up a little soy sauce and few juices of  Philippine lemon or calamansi.
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
Freshly-cracked egg on a ramekin. Something that adds flavor and binding capacity to the congee. An ideal and one of the most important ingredient I guess :) Because it does not only provide flavor but consistency to the porridge as well. Make sure not to forget to add this for a better taste and texture.
Congee night in Kopi Tiam
CHICKEN WITH THREE KINDS OF MUSHROOM


On the other hand, this was his type of congee. A simple chicken strips-laden dish with unknown kinds of mushroom. Unknown?? Hmmm. . .yes it is but I am pretty sure they are not poisonous. He didn't even bother to ask the staff on what are those three mushrooms but for sure they are legal and not harmful for human consumption.

We just enjoyed eating our porridge that rainy night. The place and weather are just so perfect while we eat our congee. Truly a blessing in disguise! Imagine with the aid of the voucher we used we only shelled out Php98 each so thats a total of P196 for everything. What an awesome CONGEE night folks!

Try this place and see the beauty inside. 


KOPI TIAM 
3C Benitez St., Brgy. Horseshoe Village, Cubao
Quezon City, Metro Manila
(02) 723-5674

0 comments: